- Cigar Review: Cornelius & Anthony Venganza Venganza is rolled at the La Zona factory in Estelí, Nicaragua, and features an Ecuadorian wrapper and Nicaraguan binder and filler tobaccos. The Venganza is rolled in Four sizes a Gordo 6 x 60, Toro 6 x 50, Robusto 5 x 52 and a Corona Gorda 5.5 x 46 all will […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: La Flor Dominicana Andalusian Bull The Andalusian Bull from La Flor Dominicana is a special limited production cigar made with select Dominican tobaccos from La Flor’s farm in La Canela. The wrapper leaf is a bold Ecuadorian Corojo. Andalusia is a region located in Southern Spain. The cigar pays homage to the cattle […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust Mi Querida Muy Gordo Grande Steve Saka is back! Well he was back last year, literally, but this year expanding the portfolio of Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust with line extensions of Sobremesa and debuting a few new blends at the 2016 IPCPR. One particular offering was the buzz of […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: Drew Estate Kentucky Fire Cured Swamp Thang Drew Estate announced on July 20th the introduction of the new Kentucky Fire Cured “Swamp Thang” and Kentucky Fire Cured “Swamp Rat” line extensions. The line extension were on display in Drew Estate’s booth (Booth #2403) at the IPCPR Convention and Tradeshow held July 24 – […]Read More »
- Accessory Review: Screwpop Ashtray Big shout out to the creators of the Screwpop® Ashtray and a huge thank you for the guys sending the Cigar Smoke crew an example so we could put it through its paces. After a couple weeks of heavy cigar smoking this one-of-a-kind ergonomically and visually pleasing cigar accessory gets two enthusiastic thumbs up! […]Read More »
- VUDU “BLOOD” CIGARS NOW AVAILABLE AT FAMOUS SMOKE SHOP New Line Extension Blended by Jesus Fuego is 4th in VUDU Cigars Series EASTON, PA–(Marketwired – August 16, 2016) – Famous Smoke Shop, the leading online distributor of discounted premium cigars, specializing in offering the web’s widest selection of cigars at the lowest prices, has announced […]Read More »
- La Gloria Cubana Serie R Esteli Maduro Serie R Esteli made Cigar Aficionado’s list of the Top 25 Cigars of 2014. With a 91 rating, the magazine called the line “one of the best La Glorias in years.” This outstanding collection is now being extended to include a new Maduro offering created exclusively for brick […]Read More »
- Black Label Trading Company is pleased to announce the annual release of SANTA MUERTE: Hand crafted in Esteli at Fabrica Oveja Negra. SANTA MUERTE will be released in limited quantities to select retailers with full production date to be announced. Country of Origin: Nicaragua Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Binder: Ecuador Habano Filler: Nicaragua / Dominican/ […]Read More »
Cigar Review: Cornelius & Anthony Venganza
Venganza is rolled at the La Zona factory in Estelí, Nicaragua, and features an Ecuadorian wrapper and Nicaraguan binder and filler tobaccos. The Venganza is rolled in Four sizes a Gordo 6 x 60, Toro 6 x 50, Robusto 5 x 52 and a Corona Gorda 5.5 x 46 all will be released in boxes of 20. The cigar is positioned as a “rich and flavorful powerhouse”. The cigar will be produced at Erik Espinosa’s La Zona factory and made its debut at the 2016 IPCPR Trade Show.
The Venganza will feature art work for the 1876 patent form of The Bailey Machine Gun. It was designed by Fortune Bailey and was a rapid machine fire gun that was sometimes referred to as the Gatling Gun. Cornelius & Anthony is the premium cigar arm of S & M brands. S & M Brands is owned by the Bailey family who have over 150 years experience in the tobacco business. Today they operate one of the largest tobacco operations in Virginia. The company is named for S & M founder Cornelius Bailey and current owner Steven Anthony Bailey.
- Corona Gorda: 5 1/2 x 46
- Robusto: 5 x 52
- Toro: 6 x 50
- Gordo: 6 x 60
The Ecuadorian wrapper on the Venganza is dark coffee bean in color and oily with notable seam, tooth and vein. The cigar is solid to the feel with no palpable soft spots or blemishes. The vitola has two bands with the primary bearing the company’s name of “Cornelius & Anthony” with an ornate design of a “C and A” in gold font. Below reads “EST 1866”. The secondary band in blood red in color with gold trim and gold font bears the name of the cigar “VENGANZA” the red contrast with the dark wrapper gives it a striking, yet elegant and bold appearance. The cigar has a rounded cap with a wide open foot. Pre-Light aroma had flavors of chocolate, vanilla bean and floral notes. The cold draw produced flavors of powdered cocoa, leather and natural tobacco.
- FIRST LIGHT
First light produced flavors of strong black pepper felt all the way in the back of the throat down to the stomach. Right off the bat getting a nice blast of nicotine. Background flavors of cocoa bean, coffee and a sweet nuance of mocha added to the long semi sweet and spicy finish. The retro was producing full flavors of black pepper evolving into a taste of powdered cocoa.
- CRUISE CONTROL BURN
The black pepper has mellowed slightly with flavors of black coffee, dark chocolate, cedar and leather. The vitola is still producing blasts of nicotine and I’m feeling it’s full effect, however not as strong as first light. The retro is still producing black pepper evolving into flavors of warm chocolate.
- FINAL THIRD
Black pepper in the final third has decreased significantly allowing the core flavors of chocolate, coffee, and a floral sweetness to move up front. A slight sour element of raw dark chocolate mixed with leather added to the unique profile. The retro is producing minimal pepper allowing flavors of chocolate right through the nose.
The construction of the Cornelius & Anthony Venganza was solid all the way through. The burn line was straight, however beware, the ash was extremely loose and flaky. My shirt payed the price on the first example smoked for review, lesson learned and I made sure the next two examples were tapped off quicker than I normally like. The draw produced the perfect amount of resistance on the v-cut that resulted in huge thick plumes of creamy white smoke. The strength of the Venganza was in the HIGH MEDIUM to FULL bodied range that produced a multitude of enjoyable flavors. The vitola was raw, complex and balanced from first to final on all examples smoked for review.
- Black Pepper
- Chocolate, Bitter Dark Chocolate
- Retro Black Pepper Evolving into Warm Chocolate
CIGARS PURCHASED FROM: BOILING SPRINGS WINE & CIGAR ( 5 pack)
CIGARS SMOKED FOR REVIEW: 3
CIGAR SMOKE RATE: 92
SIZE: 5 x 52 ( Robusto)
PRODUCED AT: LA ZONA, NICARAGUA