- Cigar Review: Maestro del Tiempo 6102R From Warped Cigars Good things come to those who wait, or so says Warped Cigars owner Kyle Gellis regarding his latest cigar creation, Maestro del Tiempo, or Master of Time. There will be two regular production sizes for Maestro del Tiempo a 5205 Lonsdale and a 5712 Petite […]Read More »
- MBombay Vintage Reserve Lancero 1973 Latest installment in the MBombay Vintage Reserve Series announced at 2016 IPCPR Trade Show in Las Vegas and is shipping now: MBombay Vintage Reserve Lancero 1973 It has been almost a year since I reviewed the MBombay MoRa Torpedo No. 2. I was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: Joya Black From Joya De Nicaragua Both Joya Red and Joya Black were engineered by the youngest executive team in the industry, along with the most senior Master Blenders of Nicaragua. Together they created JOYA, a line-up of cigars that represents the more approachable and adventurous side of Nicaragua’s very first, and most […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: Black Works Studio Killer Bee Green Hornet The Killer Bee Green Hornet from Black Works Studio made it’s debut at this year’s IPCPR Tradeshow in Las Vegas NV and will be released in small batches throughout the year. “It’s never easy following up your biggest hit, but I think the Green Hornet is the perfect addition to the […]Read More »
- Cigar Review: Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion From RoMa Craft Tobac, Cigar Dojo Exclusive Many of history’s most important moments revolve around whiskey. For instance, in 1791 the very first taxation of any product was instituted by the newly formed United States federal government. That tax was on whiskey. Farmers in western Pennsylvania, who supplemented their income […]Read More »
- Cigar News: Famous Smoke Shop Releases the Seven Deadly Sins Premium Cigars Edition New Selection Offers a Wickedly Satisfying Range of Flavors in Seven Unique Shapes EASTON, PA–(Marketwired – September 14, 2016) – Famous Smoke Shop, the leading online distributor of discounted premium cigars, specializing in offering the web’s biggest selection of cigars at the […]Read More »
CIGAR NEWS: Drew Estate Announces Liga Privada No. 9 “Pork Beli” for Drew Diplomat Retailer Hyde Park CigarsDrew Estate Announces Liga Privada No. 9 “Pork Beli” for Drew Diplomat Retailer Hyde Park Cigars Miami, FL – Today, Drew Estate announced their plans to release the Liga Privada No. 9 “Pork Beli” exclusively at the Drew Diplomat Retailer, Hyde Park Cigars in Chicago, Illinois. The Liga Privada No. 9 “Pork Beli” features a […]Read More »
- VUDU “BLOOD” CIGARS NOW AVAILABLE AT FAMOUS SMOKE SHOP New Line Extension Blended by Jesus Fuego is 4th in VUDU Cigars Series EASTON, PA–(Marketwired – August 16, 2016) – Famous Smoke Shop, the leading online distributor of discounted premium cigars, specializing in offering the web’s widest selection of cigars at the lowest prices, has announced […]Read More »
Cigar Review: Maestro del Tiempo 6102R From Warped Cigars
Good things come to those who wait, or so says Warped Cigars owner Kyle Gellis regarding his latest cigar creation, Maestro del Tiempo, or Master of Time. There will be two regular production sizes for Maestro del Tiempo a 5205 Lonsdale and a 5712 Petite Gran Robusto. Both of these cigars will be packaged in 25 count boxes and were available for order at the 2016 IPCPR in Las Vegas NV.
In addition there is a third size, a 5 1/4 x 48 known as 6102R. This cigar will only be made available to retailers who attended the IPCPR Trade Show. It will be limited to 150/100 count cabinets that will be released throughout the course of the year. In addition to being a unique size, the 6102R will also incorporate medio tiempo, a rare high priming tobacco only found on a small number of tobacco plants.
The tobacco used in the 6102R from Warped all come from farms under the Aganorsa umbrella. These farms all use carefully controlled growing techniques that yield a special taste and superb quality. Small leaves called Medio Tiempo are cherished by tobacco growers for its rich flavor, these leaves are rarely seen on a tobacco plant. If they do appear, the leaves grow at the very top where they receive more light than any other part of the plant. Medio Tiempo does not grow on all tobacco plants and it’s a random offshoot of the Ligero priming. These small leaves are picked out of the Ligero harvest with tweezers, it’s a difficult task and requires immense time and experience to properly process.
“I wanted to do this brand for a long time and it took that much time to get the blend down, through so many revisions, farm and lot changes, et cetera,” Gellis said. “In this industry time is something you need to be very at peace with and embrace because it takes a lot of time and patience to create a blend from the ground up. I was waiting to create this project so much that I just mastered time and learned how to embrace its length.”
- 5205: 6 3/8 x 42 Lonsdale
- 5712: 4 1/2 x 52 Petite Gran Robusto
- 6102R: 5 1/4 x 48 SELECCION DE WARPED
The Nicaraguan Jalapa Corojo 99 Clara wrapper is graham cracker in color. Two of the three examples smoked for review had notable veins with minimal tooth and a few visible seams. The vitola has two bands, the primary being magenta in color with circular gold trim. In the middle it bears the name “Mastro DEL Tiempo” in white cursive, “DEL” is in solid white font. Along the sides reads “WARPED” in capital solid white font. On the backside of the label reads “BE EXCLUSIVELY DIFFERENT” with the warped cigars web site address underneath. On the far right seems to be a Kyle Gellis Signature. The secondary label sets the vitola apart other than the size variation. Decked out in dark and light blue with gold accents reads “SELECCION DE WARPED” surrounding the signature Warped logo. The secondary band is an indication the vitola contains the use of medio tiempo tobacco previously used in the Flor del Valle Sky Flower. The vitola has a rounded cap and a wide open foot. Pre-light aroma had notes of chocolate and all spice, the cold draw produced flavors of cedar with a hint of earth.
- FIRST LIGHT
Upon first light the cigar produced flavors of leather, charred cedar and corn nut. Chocolate and cinnamon produced warm sweet flavors. Black pepper is at a high level being felt throughout the palate to the back of the throat. A pepper spice is also noted on the lips in between draws. The retro is producing a sting of white pepper evolving into a distinctive warm flavor of milk chocolate.
- CRUISE CONTROL BURN
Black pepper is in the medium to full range right to the back of the throat. Light coffee, chocolate, charred cinnamon and notes of honey are taking care of the sweet element so far with a nuance of raw walnut. Still notable is the pepper/chocolate combo on the palate and lips in between draws. White pepper on the retro has decreased slightly allowing an abundance of warm chocolate flavors.
- FINAL THIRD
Black pepper has finally decreased, however I’m noticing a spicy element in the saliva upon swallowing and in between draws. Milk chocolate, cinnamon and honey graham crackers are taking care of the sweet element of the vitola. Background flavors of corn nut and leather are balancing in well with the overall flavor profile. The retro is producing medium level white pepper evolving into flavors of light coffee and warm chocolate.
The construction of the Maestro del Tiempo 6102R was solid, the vitola felt dense with no palpable soft spots. The V-cut produced the perfect amount of resistance creating copious amounts of thick creamy aromatic smoke. The burn line was razor sharp producing a long ash that was delicate and unpredictable as I learned very fast to have the ashtray close. The strength of the MDT was in the solid MEDIUM to FULL bodied range that produced an array of sweet and spicy flavors both complex and balanced. Most notable was the consistent flavor of pepper and semisweet chocolate throughout the entire smoking duration experienced on all three vitolas smoked for review. The Maestro del Tiempo comes in hundred count cabinets so I’m recommending purchasing fivers as needed, I’m stacked to the brim on my humidors so hundred count cabinets are pretty much out of the question however, if you have room it would be well worth the expense to be able to enjoy this MDT from warped whenever the mood struck you.
- Corn Nut
- Light Coffee
- Black Pepper
- White Pepper on the retro evolving into flavors of warm Chocolate
Cigars purchased from: Puro Cigar
Cigar smoked for review: 3
Cigar Smoke Rate: 96
Size: 5 1/4 x 48 6102R SELECCION DE WARPED
Wrapper: Nicaragua Jalapa Corojo ’99 Clara
Filler: Nicaragua Criollo ’98 and Corojo ‘99, Medio Tiempo
Country of Origin: Nicaragua (TABSA)